Wadda ya mean it's not defined? Impossible Error?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 5 04:43:57 EDT 2001

David Gilbert <dgilbert at dsl.ca> writes:

> I'm getting what appears to be an impossible error.

That sounds like a bug to me. What Python version? If possible, please
submit a complete test case to sf.net/projects/python.

> snippet:
>
> def parseLogs(paths, custs):
>
>     ipfRecord = re.compile("^([0-9]+)[  ]+([0-9]+)[
> ]+([0-9a-z]+)([+-])")
>
>     last = {}
>     for i in range(len(paths)):             # Create start times
>         ... and so on.
>
> Here's the error snippet:
>
>   File "../devel/ditty/bandsaw2.py", line 37, in parseLogs
>     for i in range(len(paths)):             # Create start times
> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'paths' referenced before assignment
>
> Just when should "paths" be assigned?

There is, of course, a possible completion of this program that would
produce such an error. What if the rest of the module read:

def parseLogs(foo, bar):
    return paths        # line 37

I.e. are you sure you are executing the Python code you are looking at?

Regards,
Martin