Learning OOP...

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Wed Jun 6 21:26:33 EDT 2001

Rod Weston wrote:

> Trying to decide which language to learn first.  I have programming
> experience in PICKBASIC and now want to learn OOP.At this point, I am
> leaning toward learning Ada and then Python.  Any ideas on why I
> should or should not use these languages in this sequence?

Yes, I agree with Alex. Definitely Python first. You'll like it because
you can get things done quickly, but with a much wider scope than Pick,
which is a great language for business apps with its query language and
multi-dimensional files, but w/o objects.

If you want to get a theoretical understanding of OOP, Eiffel is
very clean and actually quite straightforward, but so far has not
caught on commercially, unfortunately. Meyer is making another
run at it via .NET. Meyer's book, OOSC, is good, but he keeps
shooting himself in the foot by not making a free ISE system available
for beginners...

http://www.elj.com/eiffel/why-eiffel/