PEP 255: Simple Generators

Carsten Geckeler uioziaremwpl at spammotel.com
Wed Jun 27 15:15:45 EDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Tim Peters wrote:

> [Carsten Geckeler]
> > Do you really mean that?  I would not start teaching Icon generators in
> > the context of simple looping like in
> >
> > every i:= 1 to 10
> > do write(i)
>
> Griswold does.  In the 3rd edtion of "The Icon Programming Language", the
> first two examples of generators are

As first examples it may be ok, but I'm sure Griswold is not explaining
the use and idea of generator by simple loops.

[snip]
> > Probably most of the readers of this list are not really familiar
> > with Icon, so some examples may be useful.
>
> That's fine, but I'm going to skip it as the relationship to the PEP is
> getting too thin:  PEP 255 isn't aiming at goal-directed evaluation, just at
> generators.

Well, I was not talking about the PEP but commenting on your point about
Icon generators.  But that's ok, so we should stop comparing generators in
Python and Icon.

Cheers, Carsten
--
Carsten Geckeler