Copying files to multiple comp's on a lan

petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Jun 1 15:17:57 EDT 2001

>I'm rather new to Python, and this is my first post in this NG (as you can
>probably tell). I hope that you guys can get the meaning of my writings as
>english is not my native language, so I apology beforehand for any
>spelling/grammatical errors.

	So far you're writing a lot better than most native english speakers.

>I need to make a small script thats capable of copying a file from the
>machine that its being run on to all the other machines on the lan. The
>target path on all the other machines should be the same. The script should
>take the path of the source file and the remote path to the shared folder(s)
>as arguments. I'll define all the machines the file is to be copied to
>elsewhere.
>
>Where do I start when making such a script? What kind of builtins should I
>know of and which functions will be useful in my work? What do I need to
>investigate closer (I've never tried network programming before)?

	First thing is what operating system is on these machines? If
most of them are Unix, there are a lot better solutions than a python
script (hey, I love Python, but there are just some times when it's
not the right tool for the job).

>I used to do this filecopying for each machine seperately with the Windows
>Explorer, and seeing as its something that I do rather often, I'm beginning
>to get a little bugged by this tedious method, and have decided that now its
>time to make it a little more automated.
>If you know of an already existing program that can accomplish this task for
>me any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

	I'm going to assume it's windows, since you are using the
Explorer, take a look at http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/
rsync is a pretty good way of doing what you want.
http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html
It is one of the essential features of such incompetence that the person so
afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent. To have such
knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the offense.