wanted book recommendation for Object Oriented Programming

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at bt.com
Fri Jun 1 09:38:47 EDT 2001

Laura Creighton wrote:
> But I have found a hole.  I need a book every bit as excellent
> (and terse) as the rest of my list that teaches Object Oriented
> Programming to somebody who has never studied it.

If you only mean OOP ass opposed to the whole OO paradigm then
I'd say go for Timothy Budd's OOP 2nd edition.

If you really want an intro to what OO itsef is all about then
I'd add:

OO Analysis by Coad/Yourdon.

It's a good overview and their notation, altho' now
superceded by UML, is close enough to translate to UML
easily. But the explanations are good and it's a very
fast and easy read. There is an OOD book too but its
about 50% a recycle of the OOA book!

Moving away from terse we get Booch OOA&D and Meyer OOSC
The latter is currently the best book on the state of the
art in OO matters but it is enormous. The good news is
that Meyer is a much better writer than he is a speaker!

> books I listed, you will know the sort I want ... and
> if you _don't_  know the books I listed do yourself a
> big favour make a present of them to yourself.

I know them and agree, but I would add Code Complete
by McConnell too... Not terse but essential reading
for anyone writing code IMHO.

Alan G.