Has anyone used UML?

Michael Davis michael at damaru.com
Mon Jun 4 12:59:36 EDT 2001

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <991550033.146 at nntp01.uskonet.com>, Frank Millman wrote:
>
> >After 15 years of designing applications using the good old "seat of the
> >pants" method, I have decided that, if I am to move forward, I need a more
> >formal methodology.
> >
> >I have recently read about UML (Unified Modelling Language), a
> >standards-based method of designing and documenting any software project. It
> >looks interesting, but it seems to have a steep learning curve.
> >
> >Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of UML that they would like to
> >share?
>
> I took a 3 day class on UML once.  My impression: yet another
> "silver bullet" that doesn't work in real life.  I do have
> friends who've worked on projects that used UML, and they
> thought it was marginally useful, but like any other form of
> documentation, if it's not maintained (and it never is, AFAICT)
> it becomes worse than useless.

That last point is true. I did a project using the Rational Unified
Method, which I liked, but not all project members bought into it, and
so it fell apart. Or rather, we went back to 'seat of the pants' design
and programming, and a lot of good design work got thrown out the
window.

Personally, I find UML most useful as a diagramming language used to
play with desing ideas, or document an existing class framework or
interaction. No great tool exists which can maintain a project in UML
and keep it in sync with code. Rational comes close, but doesn't do a
perfect job.

I'm interested in trying other methodologies, such as Extreme
Programming, whilst using UML as a diagramming language.

--
Michael Davis
Damaru