idle BUG

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Fri Jun 15 09:38:54 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message
> [Robin Becker]
> > I think this must be a bug in Tkinter, but since no one ever responds I
> > thought I'd whine about idle instead.
>
> See
>
> http://sf.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=216289
>
> > I run python2.1 Win95 OSR2.
> > Start a command window
> > run python idle.py
> >
> > Kill the idle window using the mouse (click on the x). In some unknown
> > percentage of cases (like 50%) the process hangs and doesn't return to
> > the command window.
> >
> > The hung process is very destructive and makes it impossible to reboot
> > the machine properly. This bug has been present for a very long time
> > and I'm fed up with it.
>
> Use pythonw instead.  Then it doesn't hang.  Nobody knows how to fix it,
or
> even what causes it (follow the link).

Pythonw is OK for the shipping version of an app, but I need the console
window while I'm debugging. If the problem is strictly associated with the
close
button in the upper right corner, then I'll just have to put explicit close
buttons
in places where they don't belong. Fortunately, I can make that so they only
show up in test code, and won't affect the shipping versions.

John Roth