[Python-Dev] PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jun 12 07:03:44 EDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Alex Martelli wrote:

>"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message
>news:mailman.992325753.25339.python-list at python.org...
>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

>Another reason to make something a statement is when
>the 'something' contains one or more blocks of code
>and/or affects control flow. class, def and for meet
>this test too.  while, if, try, raise, break, return,
>continue -- all affect control flow.  pass can also
>be seen this way -- it has NULL effect on control flow
>(or anything else), making it a suitable place-holder
>and allowing Python to avoid the syntax problems that
>come with a "null statement" like in C & descendants.
>
>So, summarizing: in Python, keyword statements either
>affect the namespace using them, or affect the control
>flow that uses them.
>
>All, that is... except ONE.
>
>That one is: print.  A keyword statement that neither

May be allow to call functions as statements then?
Then there will be no difference:

print 1, 2, 3

or

print(1, 2, 3)

Or:

write file, "this is line"

Oh... It will be Tcl then...

No, no! Do not take print away! It help to migrate from Basic! ;-)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, June 12, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/