where to install on Red Hat 6.2 ?

Brian Lee senux at senux.com.NOSPAM
Wed Jun 20 21:20:21 EDT 2001

Bob Koss wrote:

>When I installed Python 2.1 last time, the tool 'netcfg' quit working
>due to Python conflicts. I had to diddle with paths whenever I wanted
>to use netcfg.
>
>I'm about to do another installation. Where should I install to keep
>everything that uses Python working?

On RedHat Linux systems,

I don't know well about applications which what version of
Python require. But if you want/need to install both of 1.5 and 2.1,
use prefix option in installing from source tree. Like this...

# configure --prefix=/usr/local/python2.1

Or, if you install Python by RPM, you just install newest Python
and edit link to binary file. There should be two Python in /usr/bin/
directory. python1.5 and python2.1. And if you want to use 1.5
as default Python, link like this....

# ln -s /usr/bin/python1.5 /usr/bin/python

And all application use previous(RH default) use Python 1.5 and
specipy /usr/bin/python2.1 only when it need to run 2.1.

Sorry for bad English.

 - Brian,.