floating point in 2.0

Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Jun 10 07:20:39 EDT 2001

Nick Perkins wrote:

> That is why decimal numbers are more powerful than binary, because for any
> given length, the set of numbers representable in decimal is a superset of
> those representable in binay.

Binary representation is most natural in digital systems. Binary
ALUs are faster and use less transistor resources than e.g. BCD.
The Zuse, one of the first computers, was binary already.

As to Python, it is an interpreted language. Talking about numerics
hardware efficiency aspects in absence of a compiler is ridiculous.
I think the difference between 2/3 and 2.0/3.0 should be easy
enough to grasp, and the standard behaviour should not be changed,
for no good reason at all.

The L numbers are nice, and if we'll get rationals, that would
be very nice, too.