random

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Fri Jun 1 10:21:45 EDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001 19:52:28 -0400 (EDT), "Steven D. Majewski"
<sdm7g at Virginia.EDU> wrote:

>On 31 May 2001, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:
>
>>   "Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random numbers
>> is, of course, in a state of sin." -John Von Neumann
>>
>>   Unless you have random-number-generating hardware, you don't really
>> have truly random numbers.
>

>That's what I was always taught, however in the light of
>Gregory Chaitin's work or randomness in arithmetic:
>
>	<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/CDMTCS/chaitin/>
>
>JVN may have been wrong.

??? There's a _lot_ of stuff there.

Could you give us a hint regarding exactly what work
of Chaitin's shows we can get "truly random" numbers from
arithmetic algorithms?

A physical RNG can have the property that one cannot make
any prediction about the value of the next bit even given
_complete_ information about how the numbers are being
generated. An arithmetic algorithm with this property seems
obviously impossible - if you know the algorithm and you
know the current state of the RNG you can predict the
next number... whatever the algorithm is, someone with all
this information can devise a "randomness test" that the
RNG will fail miserably. Or so it seems.

>-- Steve Majewski

David C. Ullrich