problems with compileall.py -d flag

Jørgen Ruud jorgenru at ild.stud.ntnu.no
Fri Jun 8 06:45:44 EDT 2001

I don't understand the syntax of compileall.py's -d switch.

snip from an old posting to this group:

|From: Guido van Rossum (guido at CNRI.Reston.Va.US)
|Message 2 in thread
|Subject: Re: python 1.5.1 install problem
|Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
|Date: 1998/04/21
| In 1.5.1, compileall has a new option (-d destdir) that allows you to
| specify the final destination directory.  You'll have to call it
| manually or exdit the Makefile to use this.

It is the term final destination directory which gives trouble. Lets
say at the end I want python to end up:
/local/lib/python/...
/local/bin/python

Should the -d flag say /local or the path to the libs ?
(/local/lib/python/..)

Have anyone done this?

--
Jørgen Ruud