Teaching Pyhton on Wintel

Gerrit Muller gmuller at worldonline.nl
Mon Jun 18 14:58:57 EDT 2001

"Paul-Michael Agapow" <p.agapow at ic.ac.uk> schreef in bericht
news:1ev6xe3.15eskd91k2u1eaN%p.agapow at ic.ac.uk...

> Call me misguided, but I've decided to teach an introduction to
> programming class using Python. The audience are the scientists in my
> (evolution/ecology research centred biology) department and we'll be
> using the local computer lab, which is kitted out out with a network of
> modestly powered Wintel machines. So:
>
> 1. Any advice on which IDE etc. of Win Python to use?
> 2. Anyone done a similar class, like to advise on approaches or books to
> base it off?

Sounds very well guided!

ad 1) IDE is a matter of taste, IDLE is rather straightforward and provides
all needed functionality for this audience.
ad 2) I liked the Learning Python book by Mark Lutz and David Ascher, see:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565924649/qid%3D992890522/104-696544
5-4165559

Success Gerrit