Using the While Loop

Greg Jorgensen gregj at pobox.com
Sat Jun 16 13:38:53 EDT 2001

Python assignments are statements, not expressions. You are probably used to
C, C++, or Java. In Python the statement "line = myfile.readline()" is not
an expression and doesn't have a value, so it's not syntactically valid
following if or while. Your second example is the canonical Python form for
reading lines sequentially from a file.

Of course there are alternatives. The file method readlines() reads the
entire file into a list of lines, so you can iterate over the file like
this:

for line in f.readlines():
    print line

That's not efficient for large files, though, because the entire file is
read into memory by readlines(). Python 2.1 introduced the more efficient
xreadlines module, which lets you efficiently iterate over lines in a file
without reading it all into memory first:

import xreadlines
for line in xreadlines.xreadlines(f):
    print line

Greg Jorgensen