Is this a true statement? (fwd)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jun 24 22:48:34 EDT 2001

"David C. Ullrich" wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:14:31 -0400 (EDT), "Steven D. Majewski"
> <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU> wrote:
>
> >I concede, David!
> >Your logic is unassailable
> >and your point is significant.
>
> The "point" about device drivers is certainly not
> "significant" in any way I can imagine. This _did_
> start with honest _questions_, which actually
> nobody's answered. For all I know "write a
> device driver" _could_ mean something other
> than "write a certain sequence of bytes to
> a file".

"Write a device driver [in language X]" means to use
language X as the *source language*, and with existing
(i.e. not theoretical) tools, turn that source into
an output file (usually "machine code") capable of
performing the functions typically defined as requiring
"device drivers".  For more of us it does, anyway.

It does not mean "using a program written in language X,
generate a file containing an identical sequence of bytes
to that which would have been generated using the above
method with some other language".

Or something like that.  Really, it isn't that hard.

(If it will help, since your words above suggest the
possibility you actually might be missing something here,
look at the distinction between "write a device driver
in Python" and "write a device driver file using
Python".  The word "in" in the former suggests using
Python as the direct source language of the driver,
not as a utility or compiler to be used in the process.)

Something tells me this won't be an epiphany for you... :)
possibility you don't understand