Numeric 20.0.0 and 19.0.0 crash Python 2.1

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sat Jun 23 05:35:58 EDT 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Daniel Reuter wrote:

> When I do the following:
> import Numeric
> Python 2.1 crashes with a segmentation fault.
> This is on a Debian/GNU Linux system, Python is configured --with-pymalloc
> --with-cxx=g++ --with-cycle-gc --enable-threads
> However Python 2.1 itself compiled perfectly, make test worked well
> (except for the two unicode modules, but that's not much of a problem), so
> I suspect a problem with Numeric, however as far as I can remember, I
> already had Numeric 19.0.0 running with Python 2.0.
> Anybody experiencing the same? Solutions?

I can confirm what you are seeing, using EMX/GCC on OS/2.  The issue is
"with-pymalloc".  For some reason, Numeric is incompatible with pymalloc
:-(  Build Python without that option, and it most likely will be fine
(it is for me).

You didn't see the problem with Python 2.0 as it didn't have
"with-pymalloc".

I plan to log a bug report against Numeric, unless someone beats me to it.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia