What's the best way to implement a real-world SOAP server?

Cayce Ullman Cayce at actzero.com
Tue Jun 19 01:21:24 EDT 2001

Jim Severino wrote:
> I see that Actzero's SOAP.py provides a SOAPServer class that
> implements a request handler which handles object and function
> registration as well as the network side of things through the
> imported BaseHTTPServer class. This works for development and testing,
> but what about real-world implementations, where a SOAP server may be
> expected to handle hundreds of requests per second? Doesn't the
> BaseHTTPServer only execute one request at a time?
>
> I would like to know what people think would be a suitable SOAP server
> (that works with Python modules, of course) for a "real-world"
> environment. The ideal server would implement simultaneous processing
> of multiple requests, database connection pooling.... all of the
> things that a good webserver setup implements.
>
> I was looking at mod_python + Apache, but I don't see how one can go
> about using SOAPServer with them, since SOAPServer provides its own
> HTTP server.

Jim,

Actzero's implementation of SOAP is just that -- an implementation of SOAP.
The goal was to create a SOAP library that would work with anyone's server
environment. The SOAPServer is included as an example and is for testing
purposes.  Of the 3500+ lines of code in SOAP.py less than a 100 are
dedicated to mating it with BaseHTTPServer.  It should be fairly easy just
to use the SOAPServer class (the do_POST method in particular) as an example
and use it with mod_python, Medusa, or Zope.  That being said we do plan on
including some examples using other servers before we get to an 1.0 release.

Cayce