Is this a true statement? (fwd)

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Sun Jun 24 12:33:59 EDT 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:14:31 -0400 (EDT), "Steven D. Majewski"
<sdm7g at Virginia.EDU> wrote:

>I concede, David!
>Your logic is unassailable
>and your point is significant.

The "point" about device drivers is certainly not
"significant" in any way I can imagine. This _did_
start with honest _questions_, which actually
nobody's answered. For all I know "write a
device driver" _could_ mean something other
than "write a certain sequence of bytes to
a file". When people start talking about the
difference between writing a file and writing
a program I begin to wonder whether in fact
there _is_ something going on in the terminology
that I'm not aware of. (Then when I see the
explanation of the "distinction" I say no,
I guess not.)

But it does seem related to that other point.
The reasons people have given explaining why
you cannot write a device driver in Python
do sound a lot like the reasons people give
to explain why you cannot write a Windows
program in Pascal. And the fact that _that_
statement is false has significance to
lots of people.

>"Uncle" I cry!

I'll just repeat myself a few more times
and quit then. haha.

>-- Steve Majewski

David C. Ullrich