I NEED to TEACH you something, QUICK!

Tom Good Tom_Good1 at excite.com
Tue Jun 5 19:16:24 EDT 2001

Laura Creighton <lac at cd.chalmers.se> wrote in message news:<mailman.991627986.11067.python-list at python.org>...
> Do you know that when I sit down with a piece of code and treat it
> with the focused anger that I reserve for all new things I have
> to fix that somebody left lying around broken they generally end up
> 30% smaller?  and do more?  and fail in a more graceful fashion?
> Here is the secret.  If you implement the correct elegeant hack
> then you can often get 3 done for the price of one.

. . .  and will often get code that is more abstract, therefore more
likely to be re-used in the future.

Regarding order vs. chaos, I feel refactoring combines both: bringing
in chaos (tearing apart working code) as a way to bring about a new
kind of order (more elegant code).

Is Extreme Programming more chaotic than Big Design Up Front?  Or does
it just have a different, more fine-grained kind of order?

Tom

p.s. Good original post.  Metaphorical thinking about programming is
interesting.