PEP scepticism

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Jun 29 19:35:07 EDT 2001

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
[snip good analysis]
> I suspect that an ambitious person could jumpstart the catalog into
> existence, even if they ignored the catalog SIG completely.

This of course similar to what happened with the Vaults of Parnassus. We didn't
really have a good comprehensive site with links to Python modules
before it. Tim Middleton wrote something up and filled it up, and
poof, people complain when it's down or slow in accepting submissions. :)

> Write an
> initial implementation that's reasonably good, seed it with data from
> Parnassus or wherever, and push it hard for a few months; if enough
> people begin adding their new modules, then it'll just bootstrap
> itself into indispensability, much as Parnassus did.

That's probably the way to go about it. Now we only need to find a person
willing to do all the work.

[snip good question]
> I've wondered if a document on how to work with the Python dev team
> would be a useful thing, and if it would encourage more people to help
> out.

The somewhat mysterious way to get accepted to the dev mailing list
at all is a hurdle all by itself.. Perhaps this document could help
there too.

Regards,

Martijn