humans and logic

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Wed Jun 13 06:46:49 EDT 2001

thinkit wrote:

> humans should use a power of 2 as a base.  this is more logical because it
> synchs with binary, which is at the very heart of logic--true and false.
> it is more natural perhaps, to use decimal--but logic should, and will,
> win out.

I don't feel like arguing on the locical level, my brain is
absorbed with more important matter for the moment.

But there are also practical aspects. If you want to make
mental arithmetic as easy as possible, then you should go
with a base of 12. As far as I know, this is the (small)
base where the round figures can be divided by the largest
amount of other numbers. It's really a pity that humans
have only ten fingers, or we'd probably be doing it this
way right now...

Have fun!

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com