new to python

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at home.com
Tue Jun 26 01:13:08 EDT 2001

- Is python like c/c++ where you can make pretty much any kind of
program you want whether is be games, gui apps, etc. or is it like cgi
where you can only use it in websites?

Python is a general-purpose language (you can use it for just about
anything).  It is, however, a very high-level language, so very low-level
tasks like writing device drivers, game display loops, etceteras are more
often coded as C/C++ extensions to Python (or an external app with Python
embedded), rather than writing them directly in Python.  Python then becomes
the control logic which runs the low-level stuff, allowing for rapid
revision and extension of that logic.

- Is python object oriented?

Yes, if you want.  See the tutorial.  It's fairly natural and simple to work
with objects.

class x:
	def hello( self, name = "you" ):
		print "Hello there, %s" % ( name )

myX = x()
myX.hello( "Beebe" )

- Should I develop in Python? Is it good for programming, is it
powerful and are job opportunities good for Python developers?

Good for programming: I'm obviously biased, I use it :) .  Powerful: yes,
it's powerful enough that going to C after coding in it feels like you're
swimming through molasses.  That said, others have different definitions of
"power".  Job opportunities are trivial in number compared with C/C++/Java.
They also tend to be more fun when you get them :) .

- When I make a Python program, do I just leave it as a .py file or is
there a way to make it into some kind of executable file like in C++?
When I make a program in Python, how do I distribute it out to people?
Do I just send out the .py file? Does the user need some kind of
runtime environment or something? Do they need to download something
else rather than my program?

See usenet discussions on Py2Exe, and the McMillan Installer.  You can
distribute as an exe file with either of those (or freeze on non-win32
systems).

HTH,
Mike