python2.1 and RedHat7.1

Robert J. Peters rjpeters at goethe.klab.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 26 19:25:51 EDT 2001

Michael Ackerman <ack at nethere.com> writes:

> I tried to install the python2.1 rpm for RedHat7.0 on my 7.1 system
> but got a "failed dependency" message saying that it wants:
>     libcrypto.so.0.9.6, libssl.so.0.9.6
> But these files are present, in /usr/lib. So what's going on?
> Any help will be appreciated.

This was my situation exactly yesterday, when I was trying to install
python2.1 from the rpm onto a RedHat 7.1 system, and got the same
error messages... yet searching in /usr/lib showed the libs were in
fact there:

[hume 16:14 284]% ls /usr/lib | grep ssl
libssl.a
libssl.so@
libssl.so.0.9.6*
libssl.so.1@
[hume 16:14 285]% ls /usr/lib | grep crypto
libcrypto.a
libcrypto.so@
libcrypto.so.0.9.6*
libcrypto.so.1@

So, I poked around with and "rpm --help" and decided to try the
install with the "--nodeps" option (i.e.

    rpm --nodeps --install <package>.rpm

) to tell rpm ignore whatever failed dependencies it discovered, since
the necessary libraries were plainly present... that command worked
without error, and the installation seems to be working fine (at least
for the first 24 hours...).

Cheers,
Rob