Why should i use python if i can use java

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Jun 6 15:55:08 EDT 2001

mik <karmen2001 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> i' m a python newbie but I've this prob. i have seen Jython ..

I'm not sure how that is a problem. Is it a problem?

> what has python dat java does not?????????

Python has everything Java has got (through Jython) and then some!
Of course Java has a lot of what Python has got (through Jython)
as well.

Python is a more pleasant and easy to use language than Java, according
to many of its users. It's easier for beginners and doesn't stand in
the way of more experienced programmers either. People claim they
can develop software more quickly using Python.

Python takes another approach than Java; Java is a "We are the World"
language; in Java land, virtually everything is supposed to be
in Java or at least have a very thick layer of Java covering it. This
has advantages (compatibility and portability can sometimes be easier
to ensure), but also disadvantages (integration with other tools and
systems is more difficult). Python is a far more open language
and integrates well with a lot of external tools and libraries.

Java code is reputed to execute faster than Python code; though
this depends on the algorithm a lot, and many claim it's easier to
be smarter in Python about it (and thus faster) than in Java. Python
tends to consume less memory than Java does.

If Java or Python or some other language is best for you depends on
what you'd like to do, so you'll have to figure that out first.

Regards,

Martijn