PEP scepticism

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Jun 28 17:49:35 EDT 2001

Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> writes:
> I think improving Python itself is also improving what you've
> just mentioned.

No it isn't.  Adding language features does not improve the confusing
and incomplete MIME modules currently in the standard library.  It
does not remove the outdated demo programs from the distribution.  It
does not add more documentation.  It does not bring us any closer to
having a module catalog.  It does not increase Python's visibility
outside of the Python community.  My point is that users are not
currently saying "Gosh, Python doesn't have generators, so I won't use
it."  They're saying "Wow, there's a lot of useful libraries for Java;
I'd better use it to be able to use them."

--amk