newbie with major "lambda" problem (perhaps a scope problem as well)

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Fri Jun 29 19:44:19 EDT 2001

If I understand what you want to do, you want a scrolling panel at the
top, and three command buttons below (or above) the panel, right?
The issue here is that the buttons' action procedures need access to
the class instance, so they should go inside the class. That means the
buttons themselves should go inside the class.

That means you need to build everything inside the class. In other words,
you can't build the pmw.ScrollingFrame (or whatever) outside it, and then
use the frame for the contents. You need to build it at the same level
as the buttons and the data fields, which means inside the class.

There's nothing wrong with building two (or more) levels of widget in the
same class. You just need to insure that things nest neatly.

John Roth

news:37hmjtk186jsm8k8j0tcq9rvae37mpjb3s at 4ax.com...

<johnroth at ameritech.net>
> >wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> >> Thanks John,
> >>
> >> I think I see it. If I can get a look at the solution to the code
example
> >> that I used  in my reply to Chris Barker --- I'll have it made.
> >>
> >> Perhaps you can take a look at that example also?
> >>
> >> Thanks again.
> >>
> >> Regards, Joe
> >
> >You don't need to create a frame at all - the classes I write just go
right
> >ahead and start loading widgets into the parent widget, which is passed
in as a
> >parameter.
> >

> The code example came from Mark Lutz in his "Programming Python: 2nd
Edition."

> Unfortunately for me, he loves to use classes in nearly all of his
examples. I tried
> to "de-class" the code but failed to preserve functionality with my
results.

> >Setting up your class as a frame is somewhat better for code reuse, but
it
> >really depends on what you want to do with it If it's a one-shot, a frame
is
> >redundant. If it's a group of controls you're likely to want to use
> >somewhere else, then putting it in a frame makes it much more portable.
> >
> >The following snippet shows one I wrote recently:
> >
> >class ADataEntryUI:
> >    def __init__(self, parent, frame):
> >        self.ParentClass = parent
> >        self.DateType      = "Gregorian"
> >        self._DateVar      = StringVar()
> >        self._DateError    = ""
> >        self.TimeType      = "AM"
> >        self._TimeVar      = StringVar()
> >        self._TimeError    = ""
> >
> >As you can see, it doesn't subclass anything!
> >
> >John Roth
> >

> John, I want to use the following code as an interface to learning to use
Gadfly SQL