Is this a mimetools/rfc822 bug?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Jun 27 02:30:35 EDT 2001

Sheila King <sheila at thinkspot.net> wrote:

>But, according to the RFC's a header is required. A message body is not
>required.
>
>According to RFCs I recall: Your message header must have at least one
>of the following headers: To, Bcc, or CC. I believe that is the minimal
>header: any one of the To-type fields. No other headers are required,
>and no message body is required.

Interesting.  I was just about to disagree with you, but I decided to go
back and read the RFC to make sure.  I was wrong.

Strict RFC822 compliance requires a "Date:" header, a "From:" header, and
at least one recipient header.  I find this interesting because sendmail,
which I think of as the ultimate authority on RFC822, is perfectly willing
to accept a message with no headers at all.

I'm glad I looked before I shot my mouth off.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.