New guy question

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Jun 10 10:20:52 EDT 2001

Well, try this then:

Get into Idle - from the File dropdown menu select new window.
In the new window type in: print "Hello World!
In the new window, from the File dropdown menu select Save As then enter the
file name as test.py.
With the new window (now renamed test.py) selected, hit the F5 key - this
runs the script and in the Python Shell window you should see the words:
Hello World!

You'll still need to learn how to either navigate to python.exe's home
directory, add to your environment's path, or otherwise register .py
scripts, but at least you'll be able to see python do something and save
your experiments.

HTH,

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com

---------
"Glen Mettler" <Glen.Mettler at home.com> wrote in message
news:PjKU6.130094$I5.33796922 at news1.rdc1.tn.home.com...
> I forgot to ask - what is the purpose of the Python window and the Python
> Shell window?
>
> Can I NOT run a series of scripts from these windows?  Must I go to the
DOS