[Python-Dev] PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Jun 12 19:24:39 EDT 2001

Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> I'm for it.  In fact, we should do things like this more often -- if the
> semantics of "print" change once per release, everyone will stop using it,
> the keyword/bytecode will vanish, and people will use a function for
> writing to standard out, as it should have been all along! :)

Okay, if this is the explicit *reason* for adopting this PEP, I could
be convinced to be for it, otherwise against. :) Is this PEP written just
to test whether we're still awake and sane on comp.lang.python?

First we get >>, seemingly to encourage 'print' is for serious stuff
as well (though it has too much magic for that kind of stuff really), and
then we get this to add more magic, breaking lots of the serious stuff...
I'll ask it twice today: what is it with print that encourages this
confusion? Is it really the case that the little magic 'print' has is
slowly leading to more and more magic to patch up for the previous magic?

Anyway, if we're adapting this PEP to point out why print is evil so
it can be eventually removed, why not just get over with the incompatibility
issue right away and get rid of print entirely? :)

Regards,

Martijn