Zope and PHP Nuke

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Fri Jun 22 03:53:29 EDT 2001

David Brown wrote:

> I have been looking around some websites, and have come across Zope and
> PHP
> Nuke.  As far as I can see, both systems provide a basis for a complex
> website including discussion forums and the like.  Would it be fair to say
> they cover similar uses, or are there major differences?  My impression is
> that Zope is more demanding on the system, and on configuration and
> maintainance, but has better facilities for letting people remotely add
> articles to the site.  I know that Zope is Python-based, while PHP Nuke is
> (oddly enough) PHP-based, and I am at least basically familiar with both
> languages.
>
> What I am interested in doing is setting up a relatively simple discussion
> forum system for our company.  The aim is mainly to provide a common point
> were we can hold information and comments regarding changes, bugs, or
> ideas
> for our products.  Initially, this is only for internal use, but later it
> should be accessible externally too.  There will not be any really
> sensitive data on the site, so we don't need high security (other than the
> firewall and filtering for the web server itself), but we need at least to
> be able to
> restrict access to areas based on user names and passwords.  As far as I
> undertand it, both Zope and PHP Nuke would be suitable for this.
>
> It is important that the system can run on both Linux and NT - we
> currently run a small Apache + PHP system on NT at the moment, but will
> later move to
> Linux.  How easy is it to migrate data from one system to the other when
> we switch over?
>
> For the backend, am I correct in thinking that both systems support MySQL
> and postgreSQL ?  Is there any particular reason for choosing one over the
> other here?  (Speed is not vital as this will be a low load, and I think
> MySQL's more limited data integrity protection will be perfectly
> sufficient.)  Are there binaries for postgreSQL available for NT anywhere?
>
> Do Zope and PHP Nuke support different languages for different users?
> English is fine for me, but many people here (in Norway) would prefer the
> texts to be in Norwegian, even if the posts themselves are in English.
>
> There are plenty of sites describing Zope and PHP Nuke, and I have read
> some
> of the introductionary stuff.  But there doesn't seem to be much comparing
> the two, which would be helpful for people like me who are trying to
> choose. Any comments or links would be very useful, as would suggestions
> for alternative systems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Brown
> Norway

With zope there is a very simple solution for you. Look into squishdot. It
is a simple product to add to create a discussion forum like slashdot. It
also requires no outside database. Zope is a persistant object database.
This makes it easy to work with and backup. The whole site can be backup
and moved with a single file the Data.fs file. That is where all the data
is stored for the site.

If you want a discussion forum different then slashdot there are items for
that also. On the whole I have really liked workting with it as a
persistent object environment.