Integrating a Python GUI into a PowerBuilder App

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 10:31:21 EDT 2001

"John Urberg" <jurberg at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:49624b0b.0106140505.79851658 at posting.google.com...
> > application.  I'd really like to push Python as the new language, but
> > I need to find a way to seemlessly integrate a Python GUI into the
> > PowerBuilder app (i.e. as child windows of the MDI).  I would expect
> Should I assume from the lack of response to this and other tries that
> integrating a Python GUI into a PowerBuilder app is an impossible
> task?  Time to give in and settle for Java or VB?

If a "Java GUI" can be "a child window of the MDI", I'm astonished
(I would have thought it impossible!) -- but if you can do it in
Java you can do it in Python (Jython, to be precise, since it can
use ANY GUI class that Java can use).

If a "VB GUI" can be "a child window of the MDI", I'm astonished
(I would have thought it impossible!) -- but if you can do it in
VB you can do it in Python (Python on Win32 has excellent COM
support, and so it can control any "VB GUI", since VB exposes
things in COM terms).

So, no need to settle for either Java or VB.  Once you've found
how to use their GUI's "as child windows of the MDI", let us
know, and, albeit bereft of any PowerBuilder knowledge whatever,
it will be reasonably easy for us to show how to use Python.

Alex