statically linking the entire runtime (HPUX Python2.1)

GADGIL PRASAD /INFRA/INFOTECH GADGILP at INFOTECH.ICICI.com
Thu Jun 14 03:02:32 EDT 2001

hello,

forgive me for ignorance, but I didnt know of creating a standalone exe from
python prog on unix, I went all the way to rewrite a python code to C prog
cause,
I needed to have a binary only. I guess, FAQ doesn't mention this. Utils I
guess
do something similar for win platforms like py2exe which I use.

Can a easy to follow procedure be posted by the knowledgable for those not
very
proficient in handling C source compilations inolving make and whatnot.

/prasad

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew MacIntyre [mailto:andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:30 PM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: statically linking the entire runtime (HPUX Python2.1)

On 12 Jun 2001, cmkl wrote:

> On HP-UX I'm trying to build python2.1 without building the C-modules
found
> in Modules/ as shared libraries. With the Version 2.0 this was the
default.
> I played around with configure, setup.py and Modules/Setup but I always
> end up with a binary depending on various shared libraries.
> I need this, bacause I want to freeze my pythons scripts as a single
binary.
> Distribution is much easier this way.
> What is the trick to do that?

I don't know specifically about HP-UX, but in general:
1: uncomment the modules you want in Modules/Setup
2: comment any "*shared*" terms in Modules/Setup
3: don't bother with setup.py, as its only for dynload modules

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia

.