irix5 demos (was: Re: PEP 260: simplify xrange())

Quinn Dunkan quinn at regurgitate.ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 27 16:49:39 EDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:38:15 -0400, Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
>>> although-it-would-be-impolite-to-ask-we-why-still-ship-a-directory-
>>>     full-of-crufty-old-irix5-demos-in-the-std-library<wink>-ly
>
>> Perhaps because the Irix community would be quite Irate if they were
>> removed?
>
>Doubt it:  the Irix5 library files haven't really been touched since 1993.
>For several years we've also shipped an Irix6 library with all the same
>stuff.  But I suppose releasing a new OS was a symptom of SGI picking on its
>users too <wink>.

Then I suggest that the new warning framework be used to tag all those with
obsolete warnings in the next release.  See if angry irix5-using hordes
suddenly turn up, and if they don't, remove the libs in the release after
that.

I suspect even irix5 users would be interested in more cross-platform
solutions nowadays.

just-one-small-skirmish-in-the-war-against-distribution-bloat-ly y'rs