The Scoop on Python Input?

Rainy sill at optonline.net
Tue Jun 19 05:50:09 EDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 02:59:57 -0000, GulickDO at uReach.com <GulickDO at uReach.com> wrote:
> Hey gang.  I recently fell in love with Python for Linux and have
> been doing a fair amount of work programming console-based apps.  I
> have about three or four Python reference books and was pretty
> disappointed how poorly the concept of "input" was covered in the
> books!  So maybe someone here can send me in the right direction.
>
> Is there a Python input function that will get just one character
> from the keyboard without waiting for enter to be pressed? (like getch
> () in C++?)  I found a module that provides getch(), but it is
> restricted to Window's-based platforms.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> G.

Yep, there is a way but it isn't too pretty. It's covered in python faq. It
only seems to work for 2.1, though :/. Also, there doesn't seem to be any
way to unget the character, i.e. make a progress indicator that shows
37% 42% etc but in one place as something progresses, except in curses.

--
Lucifer Sam Siam cat
Always sitting by your side