humans and logic

Doug Fort dougfort at downright.com
Tue Jun 12 14:41:52 EDT 2001

thinkit wrote:

> humans should use a power of 2 as a base.  this is more logical because it
> synchs with binary, which is at the very heart of logic--true and false.
> it is more natural perhaps, to use decimal--but logic should, and will,
> win out.

Why shouldn't I use whatever base I find convenient at the moment: 2, 10,
16, 60.... If I need to communicate a number to you, my software agent or
PDA should convert it to whatever units you are using at the moment.  Note
that the movement to convert the U.S. to the metric system is fading away.
If I need to give you a measurement in I can convert it to cm, or cubits,
or whatever.

Instead of having a single monolithic number base, or measurement system,
(or programming language) why shouldn't we have hundreds or thousands or
millions?  We've got these computers now, we don't need to count on our
fingers or measure with our feets.
--
Doug Fort <dougfort at downright.com>
Senior Meat Manager