Python Shareware?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Jun 7 21:29:46 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:17:31PM -0700, Jian Chen wrote:
| I am considering writing some shareware in python. I got some
| questions about it:
|
| 1. Is there any good shareware in python? where can I find?

Not too much "shareware" that I know of, but you can find lots of Open
Source (aka "Free") software in the Vaults of Parnassus (there's a
link in the left-hand column on python.org).

| 2. Is python suitable to write shareware? as I konw, it is not easy to
| pack python programs in standlone exe program? is there any tools for
| the packing & installing of python software?

It's suitable for writing applications, whether shareware or
otherwise.

| 3. How can I lock/secure my python shareware?

That's a good question.  I recently heard a quote from the group that
was trying to make DVDs (or other future media format) un-copyable.

    Trying to make bits uncopyable is like trying to make water unwet.

You can implement (or buy) some mechanism to enforce some sort of
lock/licensing thing, but it is very difficult to correctly and
completely implement such a mechanism.  Any mechanism can be cracked
by a diligent person anyways.

You could talk with the writer of wxDesigner and see what he uses (if
he's willing to tell ;-)).

-D