floating point in 2.0

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 18:04:37 EDT 2001

"Kurt B. Kaiser" <kbk at shore.net> wrote in message
news:3B1E6A67.2B33C197 at shore.net...
> As I recollect from my APL days, there was a FUZZ factor which could
> be set to control the comparison. It would be nice if Python could
> overload == with something like that when comparing floats.

Yeah, and let's put a quad-IO (nothing to do with I/O -- it used
to change Index Origin!) in it too...:-(

I did most of my thesis work in APL (then had to redo it in Fortran
and Assembler, but that's another story) and used APL2 heavily
later (in IBM Research), and I recall those darned globals that
broke my routines when used in somebody else's workspaces as
the worst blights on an otherwise interesting language (if you
had the right terminal/keyboard/typewriter ball/&c:-).

Alex