Build problem with unicode and 2.1

David P Grote dpgrote at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 12 13:18:33 EDT 2001

I am trying to build python 2.1 on a 64-bit machine (Cray-T3E) and have
run into a problem with unicode. The Py_UNICODE type is required to be a
16-bit long, unsigned int. But, on the T3E, there are no types that are
less than 4 bytes long. Both wchar_t and the unsigned short are 4 bytes
long. So, whenever python is started, it just quits when it imports the
unicode stuff, complaining that the size of Py_UNICODE is too big. Is
there a way around this problem? Has anyone else built 2.1 on such a
machine? Will the code work OK if I just comment out the line in the
unicode init routine which checks the length of the Py_UNICODE type and
run with a 4-byte long Py_UNICODE?
  Thanks for your help
      Dave