Who is using PMS (Python Mail System) or a similar solution?

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Wed Jun 20 22:28:58 EDT 2001

First let's state my problem: my daily email volume has grown beyond my
ability to manage it using Eudora. As of now, using Linux is not and
option. I really need to find a scalable personal email solution, and I
*really* don't have much time to do it myself. My idea is to have a tool
that is able to:

- automatically retrieve email from several accounts (fetchmail-like
functionality)
- keep the message database in some well known format;
- implement filters as Python plugins;
- optionally, have a web-based interface to check the message database.

Before jumping in and coding Yet-Another-Email-Package in Python, I did a
search on the Vaults of Parnassus. Of all email packages, PMS - Python Mail
System seems to be the closest to what I want. I downloaded it from
http://pythonms.sourceforge.net/, and started playing. The documentation is
pretty terse - luckily, this is a Python program, and a simple browse
through the source files reveals a lot about the functionality. I'm still
not sure that I'll be able to make it work inside Windows, though. It seems
to be still missing a lot of functionality, but at least the basics seems
to be pretty well designed.

My question is, does anyone have experience using/customizing PMS on
Windows? What do you think of it?

Best regards,

Carlos Ribeiro