[OT] MS EULA -- (will ActiveState become outlaws? ;-)

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Fri Jun 22 20:04:03 EDT 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Mats Wichmann wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2001 17:06:43 GMT, David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.nospamnet>
> wrote:
>
> :In article <3B33644D.E32B4215 at pfortin.com>, pfortin at pfortin.com says...
> :> This page was visible with NS4.77/Linux yesterday; now, it stalls for a few
> :> seconds, then presents a "page not found" screen...  either they are shutting
> :> out NS and/or Linux, or they've removed it...
> :
> :Today MS IE 5.5 stalls and then puts up a "page cannot be found" 404
> :page. I wonder if MS legal woke up and smelled the gathering litigation
> :clouds. I'm not a lawyer, but this smacks of restraint of trade or unfair
> :competition at least. Of course, that's par for the course at MS, but
> :even they are not usually so stupid as to hand the opposition a smoking
> :gun like this.
>
> No, it really is, as Marc-Andre just said, the "Slashdot Effect": get
> your page listed on Slashdot, especially for something
> negative-sounding, and two million people try to connect to your site
> at the same time.
>
> A performance problem.

No -- it's not the Slashdot Effect (at least in the performance sense).
It's been changed to redirect you to a 'page not found' page.
They very clearly removed it.
Wiser and cooler heads must have prevailed at MS.

-- Steve Majewski