best language for 3D manipulation over web ?

goose spam_kill.guse at hobbiton.org
Tue Jun 5 09:20:04 EDT 2001

Polterguy <idi.amin at nofuckingspamorillsueyourassfrisurf.no> merely scratched his head and went:

my newbie-two-cents-worth opinion ... don't take offence :-)

> [...snip...]
> I agree totally, but fact is 99.99999% of the commersial world uses win32.

what's your source on this ? *all* the /commercial/ products i've been involved
in developing in my short career has been on *nix systems ... a lot of the
technical managers out there who want a in-house solution prefer to do it
as cheaply as possible ... this means linux/*bsd/etc

> So why go through the extra trouble adding cross OS programming when it's

I will ... and anyone who's even remotely involved in the team i am in ..

> going to increase the cost of releasing a product with a factor of 50?!?

no it doesn't - if your talking about rewriting everything else to be like
MFC, then it will, but a lean/clean multi-platform lib doesn't need to take
50x longer ...

> All game companies founded on cross OS releases have either gone broke or
> are soon to become so!

name a few ... and for every one that u name, i'm sure that i can come up with
a company that has gone broke *not* doing cross-platform dev. those stats
only prove that stats lie, nothing else ...

> How much I may hate Bill Gates and that stupid CEO of him who doesn't even
> know what HAL means, there's still the facts.
> If you want to be successfule and reach 99.9999% of the world use technology
> built on win32, DirectX, C++, hell fucking ay, if you can get away with it
> use VB!!. Use OBJECT tags in your HTML, use ASP (especially the new ASPX and
> the webforms i find XTREMELY interresting...).

<rant>
you sound like a windows-weanie i had the displeasure of meeting recently ...
he kept arguing that i was "killing my career by not working on microsoft stuff"
 and he refused to believe that there is actually a demand (mayhap, not as large
as for windows-ppl) for unix ppl. he kept saying "no one uses that anymore,
everone uses windows" ... even though i pointed out to him that, two years
ago ppl developing J++ "solutions" were as common as bird droppings, today
no one even puts that on their CV, even if they have used it ... they put
in "java experiance".

2.5/3 years ago, ppl looking for jobs as access "programmers" were in demand,
now ? what happened ?

well, sooner or later someone realized that these ppl were not real "programmers",
just "applications integrators" who charged too much (access was/still is an
expensive product) and moved on to linux/mysql with odbc servers ... much
cheaper, and linux programmers are available at the same rate per/hour
(maybe less) as your avg solution developer ...

going with the flow, and following M$ is a real career limiting move ...
just ask all those MCSE's who decided it was the way to go 3 years ago ...
where do you think the MCSD's are going to be three years from now ?

Microsoft changes the goalposts so often in it's attempt to 'commodotize
protocols' (hope i spelt that right), that you have to constantly try to keep
up with old technology (whatever happened to OLE - spending money learning
that would have been a waste of time - spending the same amount of time and
money learning sockets-programming bsd ala style would still stand you in good
stead now) ...

and before anyone argues about how OLE only underwent a name change, please
consider the sheer *volume* of text those changes generated ...

and, after all they have done trying to push their 'enhancements' ahead,
the linux market is *still* growing (worth, if one believes the redhat
site, approx 24% of server's and 18% of desktops - i'm not too sure tho',
would have another look for stats around the web when i have the time...)

> This is my opinion and I realize this will probably become my own social
> suicide, but fact is that every successfule software dealer don't give a
> shit about anything but windows...

redhat, suse, mandrake - and that's just the linux ones ...
did u ever have a look at lokisoftware ? how about obsidian ?
these companies aren't going under, in fact they are thriving in an
environment where windows 'supposedly' dominates ...

> ...all though it's really sad, and I wish the world was different...

make your stuff multiplatform ... and not just conformance to 'mfc'
or any other proprietry stuff - chances are you'll have to rewrite
it when the posts are moved again ... learn opengl over activeX, and
java over VB ... build your web-libs with php, not asp, and more ppl
will use them ...

microsoft's dominance has been dropping over the past few years ... and
*may* continue to do so ... *nix has experianced a revival that *no* other
piece of software of OS has *ever* done (well, maybe emacs:-)

if you want to code stuff that only one platform can run, then only one
platform is going to run it ... and we are seeing an explosion in
individuality that i have NEVER seen before ... we currently have more
different types of hardware than ever before ... double goes for software/os,
so don't make the claim that 'everybody' is doing microsoft, 'cos the massive
internet still survives on *nix systems ... and if you'r going to code
games for microsoft ony;, well, y'know it's your career funeral, not mine.

just don't tell me the hogwash that microsoft propogates and expect me
to believe it ...
</rant>

--
goose