How to change Pythonwin background colour?

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Wed Jun 6 20:44:01 EDT 2001

rhys wrote:

> This is a real problem for me as I have a sensitivity to bright light.
> I've downloaded the Pythonwin source - is it just a matter of finding
> white_brush or something similar, changing it and recompiling?

Open pywin.framework.interact

Find the following function:

	def SetStyles(self):
		FormatterParent.SetStyles(self)
		Style = pywin.scintilla.formatter.Style

You can add a 3rd param to the "Style()" function.  This is an RGB value
for the background.  Eg:

self.RegisterStyle( Style(STYLE_INTERACTIVE_EOL,
STYLE_INTERACTIVE_PROMPT, 8421504 ) )
self.RegisterStyle( Style(STYLE_INTERACTIVE_PROMPT, formatInput, 8421504 ) )

etc - note the 3rd param I added - this is win32api.RGB(128,128,128),
and gives a pretty horrible grey as the background color.  Add it to all
or any of the Style() calls you like.

If you want to generalize this somehow so the value is read from the
registry I would be happy to include if.  I may even get around to
adding it to the dialog so it can be specified.

Mark.