Python + threads + wxWindows = segfault, help!

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:17:19 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:53:16PM -0500, Greg Copeland wrote:

| I'm working on a project that has a multithreaded wxPython
| application.  I working on an SMP box.  Can anyone tell me
| what might be causing this to happen?
|
| Fatal Python error: ceval: orphan tstate

I don't know, but wxWindows might not be thread-safe.  I don't yet
know of a GUI toolkit that is.  (GTK+, Swing, and Tkinter aren't)  My
suggestion is to create a thread that is dedicated to interfacing with
the GUI.  All other threads should then send callable objects to that
thread and request that they are executed a la
javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater()  in Swing.

HTH,
-D