how query function args

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 07:57:46 EST 2001

"Joshua Marshall" <jmarshal at mathworks.com> wrote in message
news:99vvn1$bmh$1 at news.mathworks.com...
> david winkler <winkler at abaqus-sn.com> wrote:
> > I need to query the names and values of a function's keyword arguments.
> > suspect that there is an easy way to do this but cannot find it.  Would
> > someone care to make a suggestion?
>
> func.func_defaults will return a tuple of the default values, but not
> the names of the formals.

func.func_code, the code-object for the function, has most of the
info you want: its co_argcount attribute is the number of arguments
(the ones with defaults are the last len(func.func_defaults) of
them), its co_varnames attribute has the names of local variables
starting with the argument names.

So, the names of arguments which have default values are:
    func.func_code.co_varnames[
        func.func_code.co_argcount - len(func.func_defaults)
            :
        func.func_code.co_argcount
    ]
in the same order as the func.func_defaults.

E.g., if you want name/value tuples (pairs):

def dw(func):
    return zip(
        func.func_code.co_varnames[
            func.func_code.co_argcount - len(func.func_defaults)
                :
            func.func_code.co_argcount
        ], func.func_defaults)

It's of course easy to make this into a dictionary or whatever.

Alex