Why "from __future__" stinks; a counter-offer

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Mar 19 18:48:55 EST 2001

In article <memo.20010319213204.8771C at digitig.compulink.co.uk>,
Tim Rowe <tim at digitig.cix.co.uk> wrote:

>But there's part of the problem; egoless PEP writing is as hard as
>egoless programming, and having come up with a solution the author
>of that solution is bound to have some emotional involvement in that
>solution.  There have been (rightly IMHO) howls of protest about
>__future__, but Tim has said it's ok for him, routinely dismisses all
>protests, presumably because he genuinely doesn't understand what our
>problem is, and he tells us it's going in anyway. Can you see why we're
>not all convinced that the PEP process is any help to us?

I think that of the various people to accuse of having an ego tied up in
something, the Timbot is one of the last that I would choose.  No, it's
more that Uncle Timmy is *lazy*.  Thus, to get his interest, you have to
appeal to his laziness.

So far, no other person has actually come up with a scheme that addreses
the problem at hand, as opposed to simply whining, suggesting minor and
worthless variations, or putting forth even *more* complicated solutions.
One of the nice things about this solution is that if it is decided to be
an ugly wart, it can be easily dropped for Python 2.2.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

There's a difference between a person who gets shit zie doesn't deserve
and a person who gets more shit than zie deserves.  --Aahz