Good Editor?

Timothy Grant tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Thu Mar 22 13:26:39 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 08:54:42AM +0100, Alex Martelli wrote:
> "fjs" <fjs6 at usa.net> wrote in message news:3ab9a32b$1_1 at news2.one.net...
> > Can someone recomend a good editor to write python in?  Im just getting
> > started learning python and dont know which ones support python.
>
> I mostly use VIM (www.vim.org), which among other things
> supports the use of Python as a macro-language.  However,
> VIM is a development of vi -- some of us love its modal
> basic operations (it minimizes fingermovement wrt any
> alternative -- highly ergonomic), some other detest it
> (I think it's because they try to grasp it with their
> brains rather than just let their _fingers_ learn it).

As a vim newbie, I can vouch for this brains/fingers thing.
Once my fingers got things mostly figured out, I find myself
using vim keystrokes everywhere by force of habit. I even ended
up changing from bash to zsh because zsh has such amazingly
good vim emulation.

I'm faster, more productive, and use *far* fewer system
resources with vim than I did with emacs.

I'd like to give a plug to Glimmer as an editor. It's still
quite young, but it's native tongue is Python. It is quite
light and has some nice interface things. It's what I used
between emacs and vim.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Timothy Grant                         tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.         <><       (503) 246-3630