suggestions for more docs (was Re: Bug fix releases)

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Mon Mar 5 09:59:29 EST 2001

"Grant Griffin" <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote in message
news:3AA2EDBC.E933E78E at seebelow.org...
All the comments I make are from the perspective of someone who spends 95%+
of his time writing C++, and came to Python about 2 years ago looking for a
'little language' as a diversion and a way to keep my brain fresh. I wasn't
expecting to fall for Python in the way that I have. However, I still don't
get to actually book that much time in the language (yet).

> - Tutorial, Part II: This would be directed at people who have practiced
> Python for, say, 3 months.  It would introduce them to the Python's more
> features that aren't covered in the original tutorial.  It would be
> written using examples (ala K&R), which would give a sense not just of
> "what and how" but more of "when and why".
Yes -- the big thing for me continues to be learning to Think in Python.
The hardest part for this task -- creating a body of useful sample code --
is already done. Reading through the code that comes under the Tools
directory has been the single best investment that I've made to thinking in
the Pythonic Way. An annotated guide to this would be golden.

> - A Tour of The Standard Library: This would help beginners learn the
> most important standard modules--in effect, clearing the forest of its
> useful (but less used) trees.  I really think that listing the most
> frequently used modules (and the most important functions _in_ those
> modules) would be a _great_ service to beginners.  Off the top of my
> head, they might be (in no order): string, os, os.path, sys, math, re,
> etc.  (Even just providing a _list_ of these things in order of
> importance would be a great service, though, admittedly, that wouldn't
> provide the PythonLabs team with more than a couple of hours of
> excitement. <wink>)

I haven't picked it up, but isn't this what the effbot guide is?
Hmm. I just checked out the TOC
http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/librarybook-contents.htm
and really do need to get this.

...and let's not forget the tutorial pt. III -- The complete and utter guide
to hardcore Python.

--
// Brett g Porter * Senior Engineer, Application Development
// BgPorter @ artlogic . com * http://www.artlogic.com