Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Mar 9 14:13:12 EST 2001

Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:57:47 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> pisze:

> > choice: low-level programming, i.e. OS interface, OS itself, runtime
> > systems for other languages, time-critical modules for other languages.
> > C++ doesn't fit there, is unnecessarily too complicated for these
> > tasks, and it isn't a high level language either.
>
> C++ fits *perfectly well* for these tasks.

Maybe under Windows, but it's rarely used at all under Linux.
Kernel is in C, system interface is in C, system-level libraries are
almost exclusively in C. C++ is used in some projects (KDE, nsgmls)
but lower level libraries are generally expected to be available in C.
On my machine 536 packages require glibc and only 38 require libstdc++
(the latter include 12 of Qt+KDE and 6 of ClanLib).

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/