Python GUI with Swing

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at
Fri Mar 30 10:03:19 CEST 2001

??? wrote:
> [snip] Swing maybe slow but my customer can accept.
> If I use Swing thru Jython, it will be slower then directly using Java to
> develop the system. So I need a solution to use Swing in Python, that's all.

So you want to use C Python because it's faster than Jython, but you want
the Swing GUI? I think you're making things difficult for yourself.

If Swing is fast enough for your customers, no Java code could be too
slow for them.  :-)

Therefore, why not write the application in Jython, and re-write
speed-critical parts in Java? For most parts of your application, Jython won't
be any slower than Java.

(Personally, I would just write everything in Jython and add 100MHz to the
minimum recommended system requirements to make up for the difference between
Jython and straight Java.)

Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
Get testing at
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not necessarily those of Yahoo