Can Python replace Visual Basic? Should it?

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Tue Mar 6 16:19:15 EST 2001

Brad,

Of course the things you mention are annoying and maybe really nasty some
time.
I do not consider restrictive IDE good IDEs.

In fact I think best is to have the _possibility_ to see and change whats
really in the box.
But not the _need_ to, that a lot of command line toolkits have.

Also I find it more convenient to draw the dialogs than to code something,
try it, see its ugly, rearange things, try.......

I personally like the way visual basic handles this visual parts of the
program.
I cannot find it very restrictive, at least in current versions (6 namely)

What I hate about VB is that it costs real headaches if a project grows to
big for the IDE.
It seems to get better, when the machine has more RAM.

But I have had a project with about 3 MB of sources (everything VB can do,
classes, ocx, forms,...)
and it repeatedly lost settings, could not open - _this_ is what annoys me
about an IDE

> then. As for VB, it can be said simply that I love playing with OO (yes, I
> call it "playing" even though it's what's paying the bills :) and of
course,
> VB doesn't offer that yet.

I a pure sense, of course you may be right.
VB does not support source code reuse by inheritance.
But it supports polymorphisms (lookup the Implements keyword, if you dont
believe...)
Of course it supports encapsulation.

regards
werner